Get creative with oranges and leeks, cooked multiple ways and combined into one light, yet flavorful appetizer. You’ll want to start your preparation a couple days beforehand to make the orange oil as potent as possible. Once that’s ready to go, it’s nothing more than blending up the chickpeas and cooking the leeks two ways: steamed until creamy and soft, and fried thin into crunchy leek chips. Top it all off with slices of Ibérico Ham and zesty grating of orange.
Extra virgin olive oil
7 oz. chickpeas
1. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off one of the oranges and place the peels in a jar of extra virgin olive oil. Let sit for about 2 days to create an orange oil.
2. Use a food processor to blend the chickpeas, salt, zest from 1/2 orange, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Remove the external leaves of the leeks and cut them into thin strips. Fry them in olive oil until golden, and let them drain on a paper towel.
4. Steam the remaining leeks for 12 minutes until soft. Then sauté them in a pan until they get slightly golden on all sides. Remove them from the pan and cut them into equal-sized pieces.
5. To serve, spread a large spoonful of hummus on a plate and set the steamed leek pieces on top.
6. Place the Dry-Cured Acorn-Fed 100% Ibérico Pork Ham slices on each piece of leek and drizzle with orange oil.
7. Top with leek chips, a grating of orange zest, and sprinkle of salt.