Prepare an explosive combination of rich flavors for your Thanksgiving celebration this year. In this recipe, it’s fall meets Spain. First, our peppery Acorn-Fed Ibérico Salami, or salchichón, combines perfectly with the intensity of a quality blue cheese. And to soften things up, we’re adding cinnamon-spiced apples for some fall-flecked sweetness. This appetizer is so easy to prepare and can be served at room temp— you can even bake the apple a day in advance to keep that oven space clear. Once the apple is cooked, the rest comes together in minutes so you can focus on the rest of your Thanksgiving preparations. Impress your friends and family with bold Spanish delicacies and warming fall flavors.
2 red apples
1 cinnamon stick
1 oz. blue cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat the oven to 350º.
2. Use an apple corer to remove the seeds and core from the apples.
3. Set one apple aside. In the other apple, put the cinnamon stick and some butter into the hole. Place the apple in a baking tray with some water. Bake for 40 minutes.
4. Remove the apple from the baking tray and mash or blend until smooth. Place the mixture in a very fine mesh strainer (a chinoise) to drain away any excess water.
5. Cut the bread diagonally into thin slices and toast in the oven.
6. Julienne the remaining apple and set aside.
7. Cut the blue cheese into ¼ inch cubes.
8. Spread the applesauce onto the bread toast and place the Dry-Cured Acorn-fed Ibérico Salami on top.
9. Add the blue cheese cubes.
10. Finish with the julienned apple and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.